One of my favourite ways to enhance the flavour and nutritional value of my meals is to add sea veggies and seaweeds.
There are many different varieties of seaweed available but my absolute favourite would have to be Dulse and Nori. I include them in my diet daily for their many health benefits. I love Sea Vegetables because as well as being alkalising and detoxifying the body they also contain high amounts of protein, iron vitamins and trace minerals. Before including seaweed into my daily diet I was iodine deficient and suffered symptoms such as anxiety and fatigue. A generous serving of sea veg every day has helped keep my iodine levels high whilst adding a burst of flavour to my savoury meals. My favourite ways to include into my meals are adding a generous spoon full to dips (especially guacamole) and rice dishes, you may find you don’t need to use as much salt in your recipes. Below is one of go to rice dishes, it is quick, easy, nutritious & delicious!
- 3 cups cooked rice (use any variety you like)
- 1 table spoon coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 cups of finely sliced or diced veggies (I like to use what is in season, Cabbage, zucchini, carrot, kale, bok choy, broccoli all work really well)
- 3 table spoons tamari
- 1 table spoon coconut sugar
- 2 table spoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 table spoons of PSF Dulse flakes
- 1 table spoon PSF Nori flakes
- chopped cherry tomato and fresh sprouts to serve (optional)
- In a wok or large fry pan heat oil and sauté onion, garlic and ginger over a medium heat until soft and aromatic
- Add veggies and sauté for a minute
- Add the rice with the tarmai, coconut sugar and vinegar and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes ensuring to stir frequently
- Remove from heat and stir through Dulse & Nori flakes
- Top with fresh cherry tomato and sprouts if desired and serve with a slice of lemon.
Lift Heavy- Stay Cheeky