Your skin is the largest organ of your body. Put simply, what you put on your body goes into your body!
Sunscreen can be full of nasty chemicals, many of which are known carcinogens. Sunscreen is designed to create a physical barrier between you and the sun’s rays. This barrier can come from a mineral source or a chemical source. Unfortunately, the vast majority of sunscreens on the market use toxic chemicals. Many of these toxins are endocrine disruptors that can affect our thyroid and other hormones within our bodies.
Thankfully, mother nature has provided us with many sun-protective ingredients. Zinc oxide, the active ingredient in this recipe has a broad-spectrum sun protection which will shield from UVA, UVB, and UVC and interestingly enough is the only sunscreen recommended for babies by the FDA. I have been making my own sunscreen using zinc oxide for years and have found it to be extremely effective. The other key ingredient in my recipe is Carrot Seed oil which has an SPF of around 35-40.
This recipe combines edible ingredients to create a luxurious balm that will not only protect you from sun over-exposure but also help nourish your skin. Furthermore, it won’t take you more than 15 minutes to make!
**NOTE: Zinc oxide in its powder form can be harmful to our lungs, be sure to use a mask and source a non-nano version. (Once dispersed in mixture mask can be removed)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil (55 g) – anti ageing properties SPF approx. 5
- 1 tablespoon bees wax (10g) – helps lock in your skin’s moisture & prevent dehydration
- 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil (35g) – nourishing and hypoallergenic
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter shavings (20g) – anti inflammatory, anti ageing 7 smells delicious SPF approx. 2
- 1 teaspoon of cacao powder or more depending on the colour of your complexion. You could also use powder mineral makeup
- 2 tablespoons Zinc Oxide
- 10 drops Carrot Seed essential oil SPF approx. 35-40
- 10 drops Myrrh essential oil SPF approx. 20 – improves skin tone & elasticity
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil SPF approx. 6 – helps regenerate skin cells
- 10 drops Frankincense essential oil (encourage new cell growth & reduce appearance of pores)
- pot of boiling water
- glass bowl for mixing (big enough to touch the sides of your pot, you don’t want water getting into the sunscreen)
- wooden spoon (not one you use for cooking)
- Mask (or towel to cover nose and mouth when mixing zinc oxide powder)
- small glass jar or cosmetic pot to store your sunscream in
- Using the double boiler method, place glass bowl over a pot of boiling water
- Add coconut oil, beeswax, cacao butter & almond oil until homogeneous.
- Remove from heat, covering your face with the mask, whisk in zinc oxide a little at a time until smooth.
- allow to cool a little before adding in cacao and essential oils.
This makes a lotion consistency, if you prefer your sunscreen to be a firmer, creamy consistency, add more beeswax or omit almond oil. For greater sun protection increase zinc oxide & carrot seed oil.
ENJOY THE SUN!
Lift Heavy- Stay Cheeky,